There are a number of ways a yoga teacher can assist a student through hands on teaching. These include:
- stand behind a student and span their ribs with your hands so the student can get a better understanding of how deeply they are breathing
- hold hips and waist to gently extend a stretch
- support their body with yours as you hold a leg up by the student’s thigh
- pinch the skin over the upper back of the student to show them where it should go
- put a hand on their belly to encourage them to pull their belly in
However, while there are benefits, there is one compelling reason why these benefits may not be enough to support hands on yoga teaching.